Friday, January 27

Smoking Habits



I wouldn't exactly call myself a smoker but I do smoke. I am a 'social smoker' as some might say, someone who smokes when they're out with friends or when they're drinking. The same person who doesn't actually buy their own cigarettes and bums smokes off actual "real" smokers. Yes I'm that guy.

But I use to be a smoker...ish.

When I was growing up, Smoking looked cool and hip in the movies but I never really bought into that stuff. I was always a little concerned with the health issues associated with smoking. The shortness of breath, the coughing and weeing and the general promotion of poor health. Smoking just seemed like a quicker way to grave to me so I promised myself that I would never smoke. I guess back then I though Smoking was "Evil". Only bad guys smoked.


See... Only bad guys smoke

I was 17 when i had my first cigarette.

It was at my friend's high school graduation house party. Many things happened at that party that night but I'll save that for another blog entry.

Practically everyone from our year came to the party and as I wondered around the tiny front yard I found the surfer / athletic group of guys hanging out smoking. They were a cool bunch of guys and I remember Matt turning to me half drunk and offering me a drag... I had never smoked before so when I inhaled I tried to swallow the smoke like food.

It tasted awful, I immediately relinquished the cancer stick and excused myself from the conversation. I had broken a promise I had made to myself to never smoke and I instantly regretted it for some reason. I felt guilty like I had brought great shame to my family's name just for taking a drag of a cigarette. Cigarette's were evil after all right?

Either way I didn't like it and I wasn't planning on smoking again, ever. Then Schoolies rolled around and I being young and irresponsible, we bought a bunch of marijuana. Even though I hated smoking cigarettes the idea of smoking marijuana seemed morally fine to me. Sure it was illegal but at least it didn't fill your lungs with tar and cancer. Anyway, I learnt how to smoke properly.

I turned 18 and basically became an alcoholic for a few years. I would go out and get plastered but I didn't smoked until a pretty girl I knew offered me a cigarette. Now at the time I would've done anything to get people to like me so I caved to peer pressure (even though she didn't really pressure me into doing it) and smoked the cigarette to gain her approval. She instantly caught me out for "bum-puffing" aka not breathing the smoke in. So to appease her I smoked properly. The head spin was instantaneous. I had to sit down. The nicotine high kicked in ferociously and all my worries and anxieties seemed to melt away...

I had become okay with smoking cigarettes but I liked to think I could control the habit so I would always set limitations and make promises to myself. Promises like I would only smoke when I was out drinking and I would never buy a pack of cigarettes for myself. Two promises I broke only a few months later.

I have bought a few packs of cigarettes but I don't think I've never been able to finish a full 25 pack of cigarettes all by myself. The most I ever smoked in a day was around 5 to 6 cigarettes. But I would at least have 3 a day. In fact I would wake up and smoke a cigarette while I took my morning dump. It was always much easier to take a crap while smoking, everything was just looser and easier to... Uhhhhh.... I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing about my bowel movements. But I guess that does kinda prove that smoking helps you stay skinny.

At one stage I use to only smoke menthol cigarettes but no one respected anyone who smoked menthol cigarettes. I've actually had smokers turn down free cigarettes because they were menthols.

Then I noticed my health was slowly deteriorating. My chest would hurt at random times and my lungs felt impaired at times, like their was a foreign substance stuck in their restricting the movement of... I dunno.... air? cells? My chest just hurt in a weird way. So I stopped smoking, was a little hard to quit but what i went through is nothing compared to those people that get super hooked on the nicotine.

Quitting Smoking cold turkey is probably the hardest thing a person could do... If they smoked like 2 packs a day. a handful of cigarettes isn't much of a challenge in consideration. Kicking a nicotine addiction that heavy would require an insane amount of will power.

But now I am back to smoking in social situations... So I'm sure there is a chance I might take it all back up again. But until that day I will only smoke when drinking and when the pretty girl at the bar says, "I'm going outside for a smoke."

Just quietly it is a great way to meet girls, The old "If you lend me a cigarette I'll buy you a drink" line works like a charm when trying to break the ice with a girl.


More Proof that Rosie Huntington is Smoking Hot.... HAR HAR HAR

No comments:

Post a Comment