Monday, October 10

My Evening with John Hughes


John Hughes is a film making Legend, there is an entire generation of people that grew up watching his movies. Not the fact that they watched his films when they were younger I mean they actually grew up and learned important life lessons from his films. That's absolutely incredible that the man had that much of an impact on so many lives. People he would never meet were touched and affected by his work and that just further inspires me to pursue this lofty career choice of being a film maker.


That's what Genius looks like Ladies, Glasses and a Mullet

What this rambling blog entry will be about my experience of watching a double feature of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Breakfast Club last night in a swanky cinema in Mosmon called the Orpheum that runs with the interior themed motif of a 1930 movie theatre. It's rather charming in a sort of rustic yesteryear of film attending crowd way, like I should've gone to watch the film in a trench coat and wearing a bowler hat.

So Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Breakfast Club, Two absolute classic John Hughes movies that have such high critical acclaim and cultural influence that it has been ingrained in modern pop culture. Just so we're clear on this, I had not seen either movie before last night, I grew up watching 90s movies when I was a kid, I swear the only 2 80s movies I saw in the 90s were probably just The Karate Kid and RoboCop.... Actually wait, I do have faint memories of Ghostbusters, I don't know which one though. I watched a handful of 80s movies when I was a teenager but I had stayed away from all John Hughes films. (Which is sadness me in retrospect now)

Anyway Ferris Bueller's Day off was the first to kick off, mainly due to the fact that the double feature was based around the fact that it was the 25th Anniversary of the release of the Movie.

I loved it, I wasn't expecting something THAT good. I mean I've seen good movies before but to get instantly floored by Matthew Brodrick's charisma playing Ferris Bueller was Amazing. (Where did all that Talent Go?) There were so many stand out scenes in the Movie, the Art Museum visit, The Skyscraper Scene, The Parade, the Pool Scene, Cameron's Final Freak Out over the Car... It was a sublime movie.

I had read before hand on CRACKED that if you watch the movie with the idea that Ferris is a figment of Cameron's imagination it becomes like this coming of age Fight Club like movie... and it completely makes sense. Just look at this scene where Cameron is arguing with himself about picking Ferris Up.



I honestly love this movie now, I feel a strong kinship with Cameron. The kind of sad loneliness he feels all the time and what Ferris means to him. The kind of friend that will drag you out kicking and screaming just to have fun. The friend that will grab you buy the collar and make you experience life. I just felt sad watching Cameron and frankly Alan Ruck deserves more credit for what he did with the Character because I honestly felt for him. Especially when he was beating in the front of his father's car asking it "Who do you love? Me or the Car?"

It was also interesting to see Charlie Sheen's role in the movie as the Drifter in the Police station brought in on were drugs convictions. Even I can't overstate the delicious irony of it all.



Just quickly, here is a re-cut trailer of the movie to make it seem like a indie movie rather than a 80s Teen Comedy. The great thing it works so well with the idea that Ferris is trying to save Cameron from himself.



.....Save Ferris Cameron

(Watch this Space for More Later - Breakfast Club)

No comments:

Post a Comment