Monday, February 13

Smoking Section: Scare Tactics


Now everyone these days knows that Smoking kills. Because of that smoking companies for years have been swaying the opinions of people to shine a less negative light on smoking and promote it as a stress reliever or social activity or just something awesome people do after doing something awesome... like, I dunno having sex.

But there is no denying how smoking has extremely detremental affects on the human body. There have been many campaigns worldwide trying to combat the dangers of smoking but I don't think any other country takes it quite as far and as seriously as Australia. (Yay, we're good at another thing. Australian anti smoking campaigns are legendary for its blunt and graphic exhibitions of smoking related diseases.


This ad is fucking horrifying


If running commercials like that wasn't enough the Australian government has been putting these extremely graphic images on the cigarette packets since 2005 trying to warn people about the dangers of smoking... or if you ask me, Scaring people into quitting.

The "Rare" Unborn Fetus Packet - Gotta catch 'em all


Apparently kids have made collecting cigarette packets for their graphic pictures a thing. I hear the Baby one is the "rarest" of the bunch. Which is such a cute kid thing to do, then again I do realise that there are a bunch of kids out there that are smoking themselves. One person I know actually started smoking at the age of 11. I didn't really take that information very well, I'm pretty sure I acted like an elitist jerk upon finding out.



I do however love it when tourists and foreign visitors come to Australia and openly comment about how horrifying these packets our whenever I'm outside a pub with one having a social smoke. Of course to which most Australians just respond with a bored and unaffected tone as we're use to seeing these graphic images daily and it's just become normal to be constantly reminded of these potentially grotesque side effects.

Smokers know Smoking is bad for them, but the examples they show are so extreme that they're well aware that the ones documented and exploited are sensationalised to shock people. Not every smoker ends up looking like a rotting zombie corpse. Ny Grandmother was 91 and she was a chain smoker and she looked absolutely radiant in her casket.... yes the crazy old bat had an open casket funeral. Ugh, just thinking of her cold still body still haunts me to this day.

Hey... I was 7 when I saw her body, That kind messed me up. More than any anti smoking campaign could ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment