Monday, November 7

Lisa Miller.... The Lost Girl

So I'm still a 22 year old Slacker finding his way in the World, I have few marketable skills and my friends are pretty much in the same sort of boat. Stuck in their Twenties as the rest of the World somehwat looks down upon us in a weird way because of how we squnader our youth on such trivial things like Social Networking sites... and other young people bullshit.

So I'm re-reading the Scott Pilgrim comic books for the Third Time and just got up to Volume 4 which is my favourite of the 6 Volume series. It has one of the most heartbreaking character reappearences in it. The forgotten character of Lisa Miller (who wasn't even in the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World movie). Lisa is Scott's first High School friend and got him interested in music in the first place. Scott remeets her after many years to find out she is a talented actress and of course she asks Scott the obvious question, "How come we never went out in High School?"

What persues is a mess of feelings and emotions that have boiled over since High School. It's just a really great volume about looking back at your Teenage years in your Twenties and asking "What If", which of course is something I do to this day and will probably do for quite a few years to come.

There is just something special about the Scott Pilgrim series, i don't know what it is or how it even manages to capture my imagination as it does but I just love re-reading the books. The most honest portrayal of a 20 something guy I've ever read and seen in comics and just in general.

It helps when I can think of my Lisa Miller like person in my life and wonder what could've been. (I'm pretty sure she's better off without me now come to think of it) Then again I also wonder if I'll ever be apart of a League of Evil Ex Boyfriends. (Which I would totally do)

Anyway before the Movie came out Adult Swim animated a Scott Pilgrim short based from a section from 'Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', it has the High School backstory involving Kim Pine and Lisa Miller and it's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment